On Wednesday, 26 October, 2022, the Diocese of Western Newfoundland held a clergy gathering for the active clergy in the diocese. The day began with Morning Prayer at 9am, and then we were led by Bishop Organ on the beginnings of the Discipleship Campaign which will conclude in 2026. “On the books we have 19,000 Anglican within our Diocese, yet we all know that the number of those involved and committed is much smaller. Thus, it is our hope and prayer that as we dive into the deep waters that in ‘fishing for people’ we will not only be disciples ourselves, but also make disciples as well.”
As part of our recent diocesan synod, we had hoped to have a program director as we set aside $250,000 for this campaign to cover costs of salary, travel, and educational materials. Unfortunately, our advertising of such a director did not come to fruition, but we are working with what we have. Our Discipleship Committee, which includes our new regional deans, will be rolling out this campaign. Thus, it was fitting to have the day conclude with the Eucharist, in which the new members of Cathedral Chapter were installed.
The Rt. Rev’d John Organ has appointed to Cathedral Chapter the following:
- The Rev’d Canon Dianna Fry to the stall of St. Mark as regional dean of the Bay St. George Deanery
- The Rev’d Canon Tanya White to the stall of St. Matthew as regional dean of the Humber Deanery
- The Rev’d Canon Jeffrey Petten to the stall of St. John as regional dean of the Gros Morne Deanery
- The Rev’d Canon Vernon Short to the stall of St. Peter as regional dean of the Straits Deanery
- The Rev’d Canon Terrence Coates to the stall of St. Paul as Canon Recruiter.
Those already part of Cathedral Chapter:
- The Rev’d Canon David Russell to the stall of St. Luke as Institutional Chaplain
- The Very Rev’d Catherine Short, Dean of the Diocese and Rector of Cathedral Parish
- The Ven. David Taylor, Executive Archdeacon and Assistant to the Bishop
It goes without saying that the Diocesan Bishop is the chair of Cathedral Chapter.
As a whole, all are looking forward to the implementation of the Discipleship Campaign as we not only become committed disciples ourselves, but as others join in on the journey of faith with us. Please uphold our diocese and all those involved in the Discipleship Campaign in your prayers.
Western Diocese Installs New Canons
By Dr. Doreen Helen Klassen
“Therefore Go and Make Disciples of all Nations” was the theme of the October 26th Installation of Canons of The Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist in Corner Brook, NL.
At the service, Bishop John Organ appointed four regional deans and installed a canon recruiter: Jeffrey Petten (Deanery of Gros Morne), Tanya White (Deanery of Humber), Vernon Short (Deanery of the Straits), Dianna Fry (Deanery of Bay St. George), and Terrance Coates (Canon Recruiter). The service ended with the singing of the late Sylvia Dunstan’s hymn “Go to the World,” which encouraged all to “preach the cross where Christ renews life’s worth . . . live the word of God’s redeeming grace . . . Go struggle, bless, and pray,” and ended with the promise “for I am with you till the age shall end.”